Wednesday, March 19, 2008

journal 40

Nika Bogoslovsky
3/19/08
Norris

Quote: “The two critically compared bruises. Missis Ryer was forced to admit that Trina’s bruise was the worse.”

Summary: Missis Ryer and Trina McTeague find themselves complaining about washing and cleaning for their husbands. Missis Ryer invites Trina over for some tea and they begin to talk. Soon the two women get into an argument about whose husband is better at beating them.

Response: Despite it’s tragic plot, I really enjoyed Fantaisie Printaniere. I was so shocked to find out that these two women were actually fighting about whose husband is better at beating them. I feel like, as a whole, this story does nothing to help women in their struggles for equality. We have these two women who once bonded together against their husbands but because of competition, a need for approval, a lack of confidence and jealousy turn these two comrades against each other. Meanwhile, the two husbands get a kick out of their wives’ pain and become best buddies. It really shows the two sexes in their worst light. In addition, it shows how weak women are in comparison to their men. I hope whoever reads this doesn’t give into these stereotypes but becomes influenced to prove the story wrong. I think that is why it’s such a good story because it really makes the reader feel something. I felt sorry for these women, frustrated with them and ashamed of them. The ending is heartbreaking because the women don’t resolve themselves and stay in abusive relationships but perhaps that was a reality Norris was trying to capture. However, I like to think they still have hope.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

20/20 "I think that is why it’s such a good story because it really makes the reader feel something." Contempt?