Friday, March 14, 2008

journal 39

Nika Bogoslovsky
3/14/08
Zitkala Sa

Quote: "Zitkala Sa was an important Native American writer, orator, and debater; a singer, pianist, and violinist; and an active on behalf of women's and Native American rights."

Response: This is a quote from Gertrude Simmons Bonnin's introduction basically saying how great of a woman she was.

Summary: If anyone were to be a role modle, Zitkala Sa would be one of the best. Someone like her makes one think what they're doing with their life. Not only did she accomplish so many things politically, journalistically, musically, artistically, and socially, she accomlished them as a woman of color in a time when even white women had a hard time doing much of anything. Wow! It's astonishing to think that she was able to do any of it, let alone all of it. how she did it is beyond me. I hadn't heard of her untill English 1B but I think it would be really important for young girls to be educated about her, and other women like her, because she is such a strong female, I wish I had been. I also think that what makes her really likeable, in liturarture, is that aside from the fact that her stories tell a somewhat bitterly true experience, they make a really good read. She has important things historically and emotionally to say and she writes it all down really well. I am so amazed by her.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

20/20 "she accomlished them as a woman of color in a time when even white women had a hard time doing much of anything. Wow!" I agree completely!