“…but we were able to raise, not only the consciousness of other American people, but our own people as well…” Dr. LaNada Boyer Occupation Leader (from the PBS site)
Dr. Boyer’s quote stood out to me because it emphasized how the Indian peoples’ occupation of Alcatraz raised the awareness of other Indian people. I remember from the video that Indian people from all over the place, the U.S. and Canada, to support this seemingly small cause. But was even more interesting is that a lot of parents were moved by this event and told their children for the first time that they were part Native American. The fact that these families, and especially their children, who had just learned about their heritage actually wanted to go and support this cause really says something about the bond and importance of it all. It’s one thing to create a spectacle (I mean that in all ways positive) and get the attention of outsiders because that’s what would most likely happen, it’s another thing to create a spectacle, have people accept their heritages and gain support from them, your own people.
At first it was kind of creepy but I really liked the poem/song the woman was reciting in the transitions of the documentary. I've studied only a little bit of Native American literature but it seemed fairly similar. It brought together the meaning and importance of Native American culture. It showed that the people who were occupying Alcatraz weren't just a group of angry people but a family with a rich past and culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree with your comments on the heritage aspect of the documentary. Personally, I was most struck by the young man who was "dancing and dressed up in traditional getup" and when asked what tribe he was he said he didn't know and that he only new he'd been Indian at all since "last Wednesday." It really does show the importance and significance of understanding and embracing your roots. All the people in the occupation were there because they wanted to show support for their ancestry and community.
I like that you chose to comment on this quote and agree with the comments you made. Even though this event did attract national attention and major media, it seems that this attraction wasn't so much caused by the occupation itself, but that it did indeed bring a huge awareness to people everywhere, Native American or not.
I really enjoyed this documentary, as I myself am Native American. Embarassingly, I didnt previously know this history of Alcatraz. I only somewhat embrace that aspect of my culture (as in once a year, my grandfather blesses our family with sage), but the film moved me to do more research about my heritage and try to immerse myself more in the culture. Im happy to know that this small occupation is still resonating today..:)
In my opinion, the Alcatraz movement was incredibly empowering for the Native American people on so many levels. Throughout American history, Native American people are commonly represented as an oppressed group of submissive, exploited people who have no control over their future or where they will be displaced next. I agree with your final line, "...the people who were occupying Alcatraz weren't just a group of angry people but a family with a rich past and culture." The Alcatraz occupation showed all Americans that the Native American people are a force to be reckoned with when they come together for a cause. It reminded Americans that Native Americans have never been submissively displaced and suffocated by American history. They are actively trying to preserve their land, their history, and their culture to this day.
Post a Comment