Wednesday, February 27, 2008

journal 27

Nika Bogoslovsky
2/27/08
Jewett

Quote: “Sylvia still watched the young man with loving admiration. She had never seen anybody so charming and delightful; the woman’s heart, asleep in a child, was vaguely thrilled by a dream of love.”

Summary: Sylvia tags along with the hunter while he searches for the white heron. The more time she spends with him, the more smitten she becomes, allowing her shyness to melt away.

Response: I definitely agree that, despite her age, Sylvia becomes capable and aware of a more mature love. The more I think about it, it's not that bazaar to think that she could possess these feelings at such a young age. Children did mature faster then, and nine seems like it could be an age to begin to discover those types of feelings. I think she's completely fascinated by this man, intimately and curiously, especially since she's lonely and that all the other men in her life seem non-existent. I like the last part of this quote when it says Sylvia was "vaguely thrilled by a dream of love" because it admits that she's interested in him but he doesn't steel her attention completely. It also leaves room for her to remain a child a bit longer and to remain connected in her relationship with nature. It's only a dream of love so we know she wants it but not exactly right away; but it's not out of reach for her.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

20/20 The real question is: what happens to her at age 19?