Friday, February 15, 2008

journal 20

Nika Bogoslovsky
2/15/08
Twain

Quote: "Everyone said it was a real beautiful oath, and asked Tom if he got it out of his own head."

Summary: I thought this was funny because the oath was really barbaric and basically said that if any of the boys break the oath that they would kill him and his family. And whoever was assigned to kill those people he couldn't eat or sleep until he did and all this other terrible stuff. For the boys to think it's a beautiful oath just shows how young they are and how impressed they are by blood and guts. It's funny because they think something so gross is beautiful but that's what little boys do.

Response: Comedy is easier to read and enjoy, and it seems like more people can relate to it. I think Twain uses comedy in Huckleberry Fin not only to engage his audience but also to show the youth of Huck. Huck’s just a boy, not even a teen and although he’s seen some tragedy in his life, he doesn’t full understand it. We know he doesn’t understand it because he’s still only figuring out how to treat people the way he thinks they should be treated. Someone who doesn’t know what true tragedy is like is going to have a happier outlook on life. In addition, being a kid who hangs around someone like Tom Sawyer, is bound to get into some funny trouble anyway. I think Twain uses comedy to remind us that we’re reading about a kid who’s growing up and figuring things out on his own. That’s why it’s a book for all ages because anyone can enjoy it. The children can get excited about the fun adventures, the adults can become inspired by Huck’s expanding mind and everyone can get a laugh out of it.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

10/20 OK, maybe I'm being too tough on you today, but I have to disagree that Huck (despite his years) knows nothing of tragedy. That's true of Tom Sawyer, but Huck has been raised by his alcoholic, abusive, racist, murderous, and (apparently) murdered father, whose corpse he finds floating down the river not long after. So I don't know if this qualifites as knowing nothing of tragedy after all. That said, I do agree that the boys-story wrapping gives the story a light-hearted feel -- at first.