Wednesday, February 6, 2008

journal 17

Nika Bogoslovsky
2/6/08
Du Bois

Quote: “I had thereafter no desire to tear down that veil, to creep through; I held all beyond it in common contempt, and lived above it in a region of blue sky and great wandering shadows.”

Summary: This is the realization W.E.B. Du Bois had after a girl in his class denied his valentine. He realizes his differences but instead of being ashamed of them, h embraces them.

Response: Du Bois’s veil also reminded me of the Minister’s Black Veil and in the same sense that it gave the minister power, Du Bois realizes his veil gives him power as well. In the sense that the veil represents racism, I like that he doesn’t deny that a veil exists or let it eliminate his being but rather, he uses it to his advantage. It’s almost like a muse for him to be a better person than everyone else who uses racism to belittle others. I also like that as a boy, succeeding to him means beating them at sports and school but that he knows that he will have options as an adult too. He doesn’t limit his options and for him to succeed in rising above they are positive ones; studying law, helping the sick or telling stories. It is really beautifully written, as mentioned in class it would make a great poem but I think it has to be so well written for it to have its affect. It is such a beautiful realization that if it were put in duller words it wouldn’t get the justice it deserves.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

20/20 It's part of Dubois strategy for being heard at all...