Nika Bogoslovsky
2/6/08
Washington
Quote: “Cast down your bucket where you are”
Summary: This phrase of Washington’s is the main argument he trying to get across to his fellow Negros, and is what he is asking of white people to give to his people. He is arguing to find resources around them and asking for equal economic opportunities for African Americans by whites.
Response: I really liked his story about the ship whose people were dying of thirst but didn't realize that they had fresh water right under their boat but didn’t know about it. I think it’s a great metaphor for his argument about finding the resources you need to succeed rather than going elsewhere for them. I can’t remember but I think the consensus in class was that Washington focuses on job opportunities rather than education. He even says that poetry (education) isn’t as important that economic opportunity. But the people on that boat had to have been educated to know at least that fresh water lies above salt water in estuaries, never mind the physics of it all. So I think he includes the importance of education in his metaphor in being able to successfully succeed. Obviously his economic goal was the first step in his plan and that his hopes for greater steps did not eliminate education but rather take a back burner for the time being. His metaphor to cast down buckets is very powerful and is a good message for anyone to learn and realize. I don’t want to take away from what he says, but anyone who is in a struggle can be able to look at what they have, pull in from the resources right around them, and get through their struggle on their own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
20/20 Throw down your words in your journals?...sorry, bad pun.
The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.
Thanks
Post a Comment