Wednesday, January 16, 2008

journal 9

Nika Bogoslovsky
1/15/08
Harte

Quote: "'They've a street up there in 'Roaring' that would lay over any street in Red Dog. They've got vines and flowers round their houses, and they wash themselves twice a day. But they're mighty rough on strangers, and they worship an Ingin baby.'"

Summary: This is the part in The Luck of Roaring Camp when the men of the settlement decide to invite someone else in. The outsider's view of the camp, how it's run and his opinion of the men's relationship with Tommy Luck, is so completely different from theres.

Response: While reading this story, I got so excited for these guys. They're doing a good job of taking care of Luck, showing him around and letting him play. Luck is opening their eyes to nature and love, they really care for him, and protect him, things are great and everyone seems happy. I found myself really rooting for these guys despite their previous rough ways. And then this stranger comes along and describes these guys that worship an Ingin baby and knock me back into reality. I can just hear the weirdness in his voice as this were actually happening and someone was actually saying it. So this is when Harte puts the joke on me, and hopefully other people who have read this story. Here I am, part of this settlement, but how weird would it be in someone else's eyes. I should be thinking like the stranger but instead I'm right there with the guys. It's so funny because in reality it would be so weird if this was going on because essentially, these men are worshiping this baby and that's strange. It's great that Luck and the men help each other out and Luck brings them to the natural beauty of life, but from an outsiders point of view it would be wird and it's funny how Harte puts that into the story.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

20/20 although they don't exactly "worship" him, just care for him.