Nika Bogoslovsky
11/8/07
Emerson
"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of our own mind"
Summary:
Self Reliance is an essay written by Ralph Waldo Emerson. In it, he talks of how important actual self reliance is. He not only emphasizes that self reliance can be spiritual but also economical too. He continually argues that non conformity is key in becoming your own person.
Response:
I've heard this phrase countless times and finally I can put it to a name. I'll begin with what I dislike about this quote: it seems worrisome and isolating. Saying that nothing is sacred but your own ideas and thoughts makes me feel that everyone is out to get you, nothing is safe unless you keep it locked up in your brain, and don't trust anyone! At the same time, especially in this day, it's important to trust in your ideas as your own and hopefully pursue them. It's good to trust in yourself, but if we shared our thoughts and ideas, not only would it help us feel better, but it would most likely benefit ourselves and others around us. Having the ability to have faith in others, and believe what they have to say is worth hearing, as well as knowing the integrity of our own minds and trusting them wins overall. It's too explicit using the word nothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
20/20 Fascinating critique: but doesn't the independence of your critique prove the validity of the quote after all?
Post a Comment