Friday, October 19, 2007

Journal 16

Nika Bogoslovsky
10/19/07
Paine

"The cause of America is in a great measure the cause of all mankind. Many circumstances have, and will, arise which are not local, but universal, and through which the principles of all lovers of mankind are affected..."

Summary:

Common Sense was written by Thomas Paine, in it he argues for American Independence from the British. He integrates religion and government into his arguments and focuses on the colonial situations.

Response:

I thought this quote was kind of amusing because in class we were discussing how universal Thomas Paine is and how everyone and their mother quotes him. This quote basically lets us know that he's talking about stuff that refers to everyone. If he's pertaining to everyone, then everyone can feel that they have the right to quote. It's interesting how completely different political groups, activist groups etc. claim Paine as "their" guy when back then Paine was just trying to fight for American Independence. I guess why it's so easy to claim him because he wasn't being specific to one group but fighting for a cause that anyone could relate to. I wonder what he would think today about how influential he's become and which group of people he'd actually identify himself with. I enjoyed his writing because it was so passionate and easier to understand. I like when he says, " Hither have they fled, not from the tender embraces of the mother, but from the cruelty of the monster..." The comparison of a sweet mother just makes the monster sound so much worse and more powerful.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

20/20 Good question: I wonder which group/party Paine would identify with, too. If any?