Nika Bogoslovsky
10/19/07
Wheatley
"Remember, Christians, Negroes, black as Cain, may be refined, and join the angelic train."
Summary:
On Being Brought from Africa to America is a poem by Phillis Wheatley about coming to America from Africa. In this poem, Wheatley expresses her thanks for being taught Christianity, She is also thankful for what Christianity has in turn taught her.
Response:
When I first read this poem, the word pagan land caught my eye. I thought, why would Wheatley think so poorly of her country, but if Christianity really enlightened her, then I guess it makes sense to call her home land that, just seems a bit harsh. As discussed in class, Wheatley does an excellent job of lightly adding in the punch at the end saying thank you for teaching me about Christianity and thank you for teaching me that anyone can be saved and letting me know that what you're doing is wrong. What I especially noticed and liked about this quote was that I think she strategically wrote it for a double meaning. There's her saying remember Christians... saying hey you Christians don't for get about this... Or there's the way I read it: she says Remember, Christians, Negroes.... it's as if she's saying that Christians, Negroes and people who are black as Cain can be refined and that even Christians make mistakes. I hope that makes sense... Anyway, I think she's a great writer and very smart for putting in those punches.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
20/20
Remember to use dashes to mark the ends of lines of poetry:
Remember, Christians, Negroes, Black as Cain/
May be refined...
Post a Comment